Ransomware and encryptions are the fastest growing crimes on the internet.
Make sure you know how to protect your vital information. Here are some tips on how to mitigate these possible threats.
- Keep your operating system software updated – because, malware and viruses often target known vulnerabilities and bugs in outdated software.
- New ransomware variants appear on a regular basis, so always keep your security software up to date as well.
- Criminal attacks are much broader than just scam emails. Cybercrime methods are many and varied. That is the reason why you need a comprehensive security strategy that is managed and enforced by trained professionals.
- Be wary of unexpected emails containing links or attachments. If you are in doubt, call us and ask for help. Criminals frequently emulate branded emails, as per the example below. Scam emails will include links that direct you to a hacker’s site or to download a virus to your computer.
- Never open email attachments that enable macros to view the content. If you receive an email that includes a link to a macro you should immediately delete the email and request the document be sent to you as a PDF.
- Backing up important data is the most effective way to recover from a ransomware/cybercrime attack. You should ensure that backups are stored off- line and off site. This will ensure your backups cannot be deleted by the attackers.
- Never pay the criminals. Ransomware is malicious software that uses encryption to conceal your data and hold you to ransom to get your data back. If you have the right precautions in place, and your backups are 100% guaranteed, you will never need to pay the criminals.
Current trends show that 1 percent of emails contain malware. Protect your business by learning how to protect your business and by using professional protection services.
Call Net2 – We can protect your business with proven Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware and give you confidence that your backups are complete and effective.